Mrs. Akin’s 7th Grade Science
Classroom Rules and Procedures
Welcome to 7th Grade Science! We have an exciting year ahead of us with many activities that will help us investigate and understand the world around us. I hope you are ready to be responsible and positive so we can all have a great learning experience.
1. Listen and follow instructions.
2. Raise your hand before speaking or leaving your seat.
3. Respect all others and their property at all times.
4. Bring all materials to class every day. Leave backpacks, food, drinks, and gum in your locker.
5. Obey all laboratory rules and school rules.
1. First offense = warning
2. Second offense = time-out
3. Third offense = parent contact
4. Fourth offense = office referral
Any extremely inappropriate or disrespectful behavior will result in an office referral and immediate removal from the classroom. This includes, but is not limited to: fighting, profanity, and disregard for authority.
Every student is responsible for their own behavior. In order to have a positive learning environment, everyone must follow all class rules and be respectful at all times.
Conduct grades of “E” (excellent), “S” (satisfactory), “N” (needs improvement), or “U” (unsatisfactory) will be given on report cards.
Daily grades - 40% - Includes all class work and homework assignments, quizzes, and
Major grades - 60% - Includes Unit tests, Six Weeks tests, DOS and Notebook tests,
and major projects.
All work for each unit must be turned in before the test for that unit. Late work will automatically have 11 points deducted. If an assignment is turned in late after having been graded and returned, the best grade earned will be a fifty. Also, failure to have assigned work completed at the beginning of class will result in the loss of “Free Friday” activities or lunch detention.
1. All Science papers should be kept in your green science binder. We will keep all science papers for an entire six weeks period before cleaning out our binder. You will be responsible for keeping your binder in order and completing an assignment sheet. We will have a notebook test every six weeks. This is an easy major grade and will count as your extra credit!
2. A warm-up or Daily Oral Science (DOS) will be completed every day at the beginning of class. We will be using Study Island questions which will be kept in your binder. We will have at least 1 DOS Test every six weeks.
3. Write a heading on every paper you turn in! On the top left, include your full name and period. On the top right, include the date. Your heading is part of your grade.
4. All science work is to be completed in pencil unless otherwise specified. Points will be deducted for work done in pen.
5. Spelling counts! One point will be taken off for each misspelled word. You may get your point back by correctly writing the word three times.
6. We will not be doing test corrections, so STUDY! You may be given any opportunity to retake a test at my discretion.
7. Safety is important in the science lab. Follow all instructions and do not touch any lab equipment until instructed to do so. The lab sinks are not to be used unless permission has been given.
8. The bell does not dismiss you. You may leave the classroom only after I have dismissed you. You must remain seated until that time. The room must be in order before you leave.
9. When you return from being absent, it is your responsibility to get your work from me. You will have two days to make up the work for each day you were absent. Please write “ABSENT” on your work when you turn it in.
10. You will be given a consumable textbook for this school year. This book is required for class. If this book is lost or damaged at any time throughout the school year, you will be responsible for the replacement at a fee of $25.00.
11. If you need extra help, please schedule a day to come after school for tutoring.
Parent/Student Signature Page to be turned in to Mrs. Akin by Friday, August 25, 2017
I have read and understand Mrs. Akin’s syllabus that will be used in her Science class for the 2017-2018 school year. I will abide by it while in class or serve the consequence.
Student Name: __________________________
Student Signature: ____________________________ Date: __________
Relationship to student: _________________________
Phone Numbers: home___________________ cell _____________________
How do you prefer to be contacted? ___phone or ___email
Signature: _______________________ Date: _________________
Cut here-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cut here
Please return top portion to Mrs. Akin
You may contact me any time during the school year by calling 284-3226 or emailing me at email@example.com. The best way to contact me is through email. I have 6th period conference. Please check the school website, www.industrialisd.org to check lesson plans and monitor your child’s progress through parent portal. I am looking forward to a great year!
7th Grade Science
Industrial Junior High School